Sunday, March 15, 2015

Refinished China Cabinet

I've been putting this task off for a while because I knew it was going to be very time consuming, but I'm so glad I took this on. It may be my favorite project yet! 

So I started out with this brown china cabinet that had been given to me.  Nothing wrong with it just wanted to paint it to give it some new life! 



It is extremely heavy and my husband is gone this week for work, so I decided to just paint it where it was- my advice- lay down something!!! I dripped so much paint on the floor! Such a pain! I made chalk paint which is an alternative to sanding and repainting! With all the detail, this would of taken forever to sand!

Mixing 1 1/2 cup paint, 1/4 cup Plaster of Paris, and 1/4 cup hot water Gave me my chalk paint! 

So I started on the white color, painted all the first coat, then after it dried did a second coat. 


Then I mixed up some blue chalk paint and did the stripes, I found a foam brush is easier for more control on lines. 


Then I went to Hobby Lobby and bought knobs, really easy just screw them on! 



That's all there is to it!! I distressed mine a little with sand paper and I'm still trying to decide if I want to leave it like that or paint it all white. But I'm super happy with how it turned out! And it was fairly easy!!